Thursday, December 6, 2012

Surcie

The Christmas season was my dad's favorite time of year.  He would get giddy with excitement and anticipation as soon as Thanksgiving arrived.  

One of our favorite Christmas traditions was him taking all of us girls shopping.  He was always a meticulous dresser and had a love for really nice things so he always had great taste.   We would spend an entire day from morning till dark trolling stores and taking lunch and coffee breaks to refuel and rest our feet.
Heading off in Papa's truck
Snack break at Starbucks
Last year on our shopping trip Caroline and I rode on a little train
Part of this tradition, included him buying a little surprise gift for my sister and I that he called "surcies".  For those of you that have never heard of this word, here's a little background.


A surcie is a Southern tradition of giving a small, thoughtful present to someone you love.  They are not intended to be reciprocated and are usually unexpected.  It's a simple way to let someone know they are special to you.  

Some surcies that he gave me over the years included perfume, gold earrings, shoes, winter coat, and more.  He always wanted to buy something a little bit frivolous that at least my practical self would not ordinarily purchase.  That's what made them so fun!
Caroline receiving a surcie
To remember him, I plan to keep the surcie tradition alive in our home.  This Christmas I have a few surprises up my sleeve.  I'm excited to shower those I love with a little way to say "You are special to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment