Friday, November 2, 2012

The Daily Battle





I blew out a long, loud breath and he immediately asked me what was on my mind.  It was only the beginning of the day and I could already tell that my heart was struggling to have a good attitude.  Frustrations filled my mind but I didn’t want to admit that the blowing out of breath was an outward expression of what was going on inside of me.  

We dropped little one off at school and then it started as we were leaving the parking lot.  “The brakes are acting funny,” he commented.   Then it happened again at the drive-thru as we were grabbing his breakfast.   “It feels like the brakes are about to fall off.”  And all I could think was “Great!  Why does this always happen to us?!  Why today?”

He begins to tick off out loud the possibilities.  And I began to tick off in my mind all the tasks I had hoped to accomplish during my morning while little one was at school.  Vacuum and mop our dirty floors.  Complete my overdue workout.  Take a much -needed shower.  But I knew none of that was going to get done.  

As my temperature started rising and my heart started beating faster I began to frantically text a friend to see if she could help me with picking up little one from school.  Because that’s what happens when you are a one-car household.  When that one car breaks down all the dominos start to fall.  

In the midst of my bad attitude and rising blood pressure, I hear him begin to pray in the car.  Asking the Lord to allow the car issues to not be severe, requesting that He would provide for our needs, handing over the burden to the One who offers to carry our loads.  

I begin to feel my heart ache to speak my requests also.  I bow my head and begin to silently pour out my cries for help too.  

And as the morning continues to unfold He provides.

The friend texts back and selflessly chauffeurs me all over town.  

The car is repaired at no cost to us.

And even though it all worked out I am reminded of what my response needs to be every time, in every circumstance.

“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing,

give thanks in all circumstances; for

this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for 

you.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This is what I am daily battling to grasp hold of.  

Rejoice always

Pray without ceasing

Give thanks in ALL circumstances

This is the will of God for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment