Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Scent of the Holidays

One of my favorite ways to create an inviting atmosphere in our home is to make it smell really good when someone walks in the door.  I know when I go to someone else's house, if there are yummy or comforting aromas when I walk in, it's like a warm hug to my senses.  It instantly draws you in and puts you at ease.  I love that and want people to always feel that way when they come over.  

I wanted to share with you today an easy way to make your home smell amazing during the holidays and it doesn't include baking.  What's the secret you may ask?

Simmering Potpourri

Here's how it works:
Just fill a pot with water, add dried peel from one orange, whole cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks or sprinkle ground cinnamon.  Boil for a few minutes then turn heat down to simmer all day.  Add more water periodically so you don't burn your pot.

My mom has this really pretty copper simmering pot that I steal/borrow this time of year just for this use!  


For more simmering pot recipes check out this list for lots of combinations.   Sit back and enjoy your house smelling amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment